Sunday, December 12, 2010

Even Expediccionados get Homesick

Have I mentioned that Paris is stunningly beautiful? I must have done so repeatedly by now. Despite that fact, I have just found myself struck with a case of homesickness. Maybe it's because today is two-year anniversary of the passing of my niece, Hadley. Maybe it's the recent passing of my West Seattle produce vendor and all-around good guy, Tony Genzale. Maybe it's escapism from the intellectual burden of grad school during finals week. Maybe it's the season, as unattached as I claim to be to the traditions surrounding it.  Or maybe it's just a slight case of the winter blues. Whatever it is, I'm missing what I have considered for the last few years to be "home".

I'm sitting here in my bed, in dire need of studying for my final exam next week, and as I watch the snow falling outside my window all I can think about is Minerva, one of my cats. If you have ever been in the presence of me and my cats, you know that I have embarrassing habits with regard to them, such as speaking to them in bizarre baby-ish voices, making up multiple and ever more complex nicknames for them, and above all, singing well-known songs to them but replacing the nouns with "kitty". The falling snow reminded me of my own rendition of "Let it Snow" that I used to sing to Minerva: "Oh, the weather outside is shitty, but at least I have my kitty..."


At present, the kitties are living with my very saintly friend, Casey, and her husband Jayson in North Seattle (Thanks, guys!). When they moved in with Casey they also had to adjust to Casey's sweet dog, Leo. Minerva is managing this, much to my surprise, but for unknown reasons Leo and Mars appear to be mortal enemies.

Her Royal Highness, Minerva

Mama's boy, Mars

Not only do I miss the kitties, but I also miss their foster mother who just found out that she is expecting a baby boy (I will include a picture of this pretty mama as soon as she sends me one, HINT HINT, Casey!). And she is not the only woman in my life whose baby bump I am missing out on rubbing. There's another baby boy baking in the tummy of my honorary sister, Hayley.

Hayley Fox, adorable on the outside and on the inside now too, thanks to little Owen.

And unfortunately, because I am going to be academically and financially tied to staying in Paris for a while, I will not get to kiss the newborn heads of their little guys for quite a while, nor that of my cousin Mindy's three month-old, Cheyanne.

Lil' Miss Cheyanne, just a week after she was born.

And then there are the ever-growing "babies" that I already have the pleasure of knowing, which makes it even harder to be away from them: Emma, Elsie,  and Delia Hutchinson,

Our nieces, Emma, Elsie and Delia, on an adventure... as usual.

Adyson and Miranda Allbee,
Adyson, a very silly goose indeed!

Miranda, the newest cast member of Smoking in the Park
(just kidding, that's a pinecone)

Mindy and Connor Tompkinson
Cheyanne's momma and big brother

Hadley Fox, the perfect angel, who I never stop missing
09/27/2000 - 12/12/2008

and her little brothers, Keegan and Liam. 
What perfect gentlemen!

Occasionally Charlie and I get to Skype with a few of these wonderful kiddos (and their parents) or see pictures, but it's nothing compared to the joy of being there to interact with them while they learn and grow. This yearning for all the little creatures that make my life complete, both feline and human, just may drive me to get the small pet I have been thinking about since my arrival here: Didier the Hamster. We'll see how that idea pans out as my workload unfathomably increases over the next few months.

Not only are we missing the little folks, but we miss all you big folks too. Very shortly Charlie's parents will be here to visit and it will be nice to see some familiar faces. The invitation still stands for the rest of you too. And so you don't all think that my blog is turning into being about my life in the States rather than my life here in France, I will now list a few more things that France doesn't have. Sometimes the best way for people to relate to foreign countries is by comparing them to their own. I spend a lot of time telling you what Paris is, but now I'll tell you what Paris isn't.

1. Paris lacks consistently good Mexican and Chinese food (and pretty much anything spicy, for that matter). What I wouldn't give for some home-made mole poblano and Grandma's Mexican rice or some nine-flavor beef from Lee's Asian! Charlie also says that Paris lacks Cuban sandwiches and Tatuaje cigars (not that the latter is a food).

2. Paris is not open 24 hours. Despite my general disapproval for convenience culture, sometimes it's nice to go out at one o'clock in the morning for Stephen Colbert's Americone Dream ice cream. Furthermore, if you wait beyond 12pm on Sunday to do anything, you're pretty much screwed because everything is closed.

3. Paris is not affordable. Not only are we paying the same amount for 300 square feet that we paid for a four-bedroom house in Seattle (SEATTLE! One of the most expensive cities as far as real estate is concerned), but food is expensive too. Unless you want to eat kebab all the time (and trust me, I do, but it's nutritiously analogous to eating a Wendy's Baconator with a large french fry) then you are looking at the equivalent of about $25 per meal... even if you cook it at home.

4. Parisians do not pick up their dog poop. EVER! This wouldn't be such a problem if there were big open spaces for dogs to crap in, but there aren't. Dogs are allowed to do their business directly on the sidewalk and thus, directly in your walking path, and no one expects anyone else to pick it up. As a result, you miss a lot of the scenery because you are constantly looking down to make sure you don't step in it.

5. Parisians lack awareness of others... unless it is to stare at them. Okay, this isn't that different from the U.S., but the degree to which people in Paris move about as if each individual is the only person on the planet is astounding. I think this is probably where they got the reputation for being rude. It's not that they are rude; it is that they are honestly oblivious to their surroundings. They will walk right into your path as if you are not there, do absolutely anything while texting at the same time, cut in front of you in line, etc. People stare, not to be rude, but because they don't even realize they are doing it. I have had stare-downs with old ladies on the bus on several occasions and only once has one broken her gaze. It's as if they have the inalienable right to scrutinize you.

Okay, that's enough for today. I really must study now or I will sorely regret it come Wednesday. I have one last hurdle to jump before I am free to play, and it takes the form of a big scary exam on concepts that I don't really get. Onward, ho!

4 comments:

  1. We miss you too, Marie. We figured Hadley sent the snow your way to ease your homesickness, but maybe it made it worse! Love you, Don & Brenda

    ReplyDelete
  2. We miss you so much wish we could be there with you awesome pics of the putty tats they are sooo cute don't know how you do it with out them.

    Love you Dath&Deb

    ReplyDelete
  3. I miss you SO much, and I can't wait until the day Baby Owen gets to meet his Honorary Auntie Marie (of course he'll just call you Auntie Marie and leave out the "Honorary" part.) You may not get to with Owen, but one of these days you'll be close enough to hold one of my newborns, and if not I'll just hop on a plane to Paris. :) xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. We miss you too! It's become quite odd to have a birthday party without you. :(

    Do enjoy your time there, though. Perhaps I'll get to visit at some point. Sounds like a perfect celebratory trip to me. ;)

    ReplyDelete

If you comment using the "Anonymous" option, please leave your name so I know who you are!